[ad_1]

A Guelph man who the Mounties say hit the Islamic State highway with his new bride has been arrested for terrorism offences.

The RCMP said Friday that Ikar Mao has formally been charged with participating in the activities of a terrorist group and leaving Canada to join a terrorist group.

The 22-year-old has long been on the national security radar.

According to CBC News, Mao was at the very least an ISIS fanboy.

Turkish officials arrested Mao and his new bride near the Syrian border last summer.

On his phone was an alleged treasure trove of ISIS propaganda, the Turkish authorities said, including death cult videos via encrypted messaging app  Telegram. The couple also allegedly left letters for their family stating they planned to join ISIS.

Mao told counter-terrorism investigators the videos automatically appeared on his phone. The pair also denied wanting to join ISIS.

The couple were jailed for three months before being released.

They returned to Canada in October and claimed there were no plans to go to war-ravaged Syria.

Mao had been arrested on a terrorism peace bond in November with strict conditions. That changed Friday.

“I want to reassure the citizens of the Greater Toronto Area and all Canadians, that our primary focus is the safety and protection of the public at all times,” RCMP Chief Supt. Michael LeSage said in a news release.

Mao appeared in a Brampton court on Friday.

[ad_2]

Source link